A few weeks ago our fridge's water and ice dispenser on the front quit working. We figured that it wasn't that big of a deal. We would just open up the freezer for ice and get water from the sink. But then a few days ago once the ice ran out we realized that it wasn't making ice anymore either. This was a tragedy, according to Jeff. We simply could not go back to the horrific conditions of using ice trays! I said well too bad because we can't afford a new fridge right now. But he managed to find a fantastic deal on one on Criagslist. It was super cheap and had a working ice maker and dispenser.
So I emailed the seller and got the measurements of the fridge she was selling. I was over at my mom's house so I called Jeff and had him measure our fridge to make sure the new one would fit in the spot. He informed me the ours was two inches shorter than the new one, but that we had about that much room between the top of our fridge and where the cupboards started above it. So last night we are about to put the new fridge in and I am looking at it thinking no way it is going to fit.
Turns out I was right. So I say to Jeff I thought you measured it and he said that he had and was sure that the seller of our new fridge had given me the wrong measurements. So I measured it and it was the same as she had told me. So Jeff re-measured our old fridge and realized that.....
He had measured to up on top of the hinge on top by the door....the part that doesn't go anywhere near underneath the cupboards because it is at the very front. So turns out the new fridge is actually more than two inches taller than our old one since the height of the hinge doesn't really count.
So now this is what the kitchen looks like. Just to the right is our old one, blocking the stove. At least I have an excuse not to make dinner, right? Jeff insists that all he needs to do is cut off the lip at the bottom of the cupboard and the new fridge will fit just splendidly. I am crossing my fingers.
2 comments:
Oh, I SO can sympathize. ill fitting appliances are exactly why I had a huge hole in my kitchen wall and my refrigerator stuck out into my dining room for a good year before we had to buy a new...and much smaller refrigerator. And that whole disaster was caused by someone not measuring an entire kitchen right! I just hope your fix is as easy as it looks. good luck
AH ha ha ha.I love this story. :-)
Post a Comment